Scented Nectar

> >>This position - "doing the best I can" - is the one
> >>Skanky Carpetmuncher is currently trying vainly to
> >>defend, even though she has already abandoned it to
> >>make her second retreat. The quote at the top is her
> >>reply to someone who asked her why she doesn't buy only
> >>locally produced foods and spices (the implication
> >>being that local production somehow necessarily causes
> >>fewer deaths than distant production.) Her answer
> >>implicitly *accepts* that locally produced means fewer
> >>deaths than remotely produced, but we see that she
> >>makes the reduction of animal deaths subordinate to her
> >>aesthetic desire for more flavorful food. She doesn't
> >>NEED spices at all; she merely wants them. How can a
> >>supposedly absolute ethical value - "it is wrong to
> >>kill animals" - take a back seat to her aesthetic wish
> >>for flavor variety, and still be called a valid ethics?

I have no way of knowing what farmers do what. I'm not
responsible for any deaths personally. You are trying
to put an 'absoluteness' on the whole thing, when in
fact you know full well that I am content with the death
reductions I have made (knowing that it's currently
impossible to do better). You say I'm not allowed to
feel content, something you have no say in. I am
doing the best I can and I'm happy with that. I have
seen no indications that foreign grown foods cause
more deaths than local ones, by the way.

> >>In my direct reply to Skanky Carpetmuncher, I pointed
> >>out that by subordinating her absolute belief that it
> >>is wrong to kill animals to her wish for flavor variety
> >>in food, she is implicitly admitting, once again, that
> >>she is NOT "doing the best she can" at reducing animal
> >>death. In fact, she is revealing that she does NOT
> >>believe killing animals is wrong. Her reply was very
> >>revealing:

You're the one putting absolute in there. I do indeed
believe that killing animals is wrong and I find some
farmers like Lundbergs commendable for reducing
accidental deaths. As for other commercial foods,
I'm content know there's less deaths from vegan foods
than in the meat and dairy industry as a whole due to
cds in crop/feed growing.

> >>There is no question that she is NOT "doing her best",
> >>as she could easily forgo the spices. She has, for the
> >>SECOND time, retreated from the claim "I'm doing the
> >>best I can" to the vastly weaker claim of "I think I'm
> >>doing better than you, which is good enough for me."

You're putting words in my mouth. Maybe this is the
root of why you're so antivegan. You think they all
hate you personally. I never said "I think I'm better
than you", admit it. This is again one of your implied
things, isn't it.

> >>In the process, she has revealed the fatal flaw in
> >>"veganism" and, necessarily, in "vegans" themselves:
> >>they don't really believe their absolute claim that
> >>killing animals is wrong. Once that claim is
> >>effectively abandoned, as this reveals it must be, we
> >>see that "veganism" isn't about ethics at all.

Stop forcing the word absolute into the above and
into your expectations of vegans.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/