usual suspect

C. James Strutz wrote:

>>>Prove it.

>>...[F]ederal health surveillance of food-borne diseases from
>>1993 to 1997 found 2,751 outbreaks. Those outbreaks totaled
>>12,537 individual cases involving fruits and vegetables,
>>compared with 6,709 cases involving meat.
>>http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...od-cover_x.htm

> Okay, good information. Still, my original point was that sushi and other
> raw meats offer a greater probability of food borne illness, especially at
> room temperatures.

Salad bars are much more worthy of your concern. The food is near room
temperature and in an environment in which unwashed hands can contact
food and utensils.

>>>In fact, I snipped this from your link: "People get toxoplasmosis the
>>>following ways: - By consuming foods (such as raw or undercooked meats,
>>>especially pork, lamb, or wild game) or drinking untreated water (from
>>>rivers or ponds) that may contain the parasite."

>>You also conveniently left out the fact that nearly every parasite listed
>>on that site can enter a host through contaminated produce.

> I'm not disputing that. That wasn't the issue.

It was the issue you raised.

> You drew attention to
> yourself by claiming to have eaten sushi yesterday for lunch.

Sashimi. I've written about my predilection for sushi in the past. Sushi
and fish aren't the same thing. I've also posted links (definitely) and
recipes (iirc) for vegetarian sushi.

> I pointed out
> that there is an increased risk of acquiring intestinal parasites by eating
> raw meats, such as in sushi.

And I pointed back that the data shows as much danger linked to
contaminated produce. Refresh my memory, in what state did the Chi-chi's
hepatitis outbreak from green onions occur?

> You then "moved goalposts" by making a big
> issue out of the fact that more food-borne illnesses have acquired from
> fresh produce than from meats

There was no goalpost move. You're the one who raised the issue of
food-borne illness, and you suggested the inclusion of two servings of
fish significantly increased my chances of becoming ill. The risk I took
was *no* greater than if I'd had the standard veggie roll (consisting of
seaweed, rice, and RAW produce).

> (BTW, the statistics you quoted were from 1993
> through 1997 - 10 years ago).

The article was from this year. And if the leftist food police are to be
believed, nothing has changed in food inspection and safety the last ten
years -- except that we're importing a lot more produce.

>>>Enjoy your sushi....

>>I did. I also enjoy the fact that ninnies like you take exception to it.

>>Well, dummy, I wanted sushi today.

> I wasn't trying to be provocative or insulting or demeaning in any way. And
> here you start again with the childish name calling. Some "olive branch" you
> have offered. I don't care whether you eat sushi or not. I only pointed out
> the risks of eating raw meat stored at room temeratures. I don't understand
> your problem....

Let's also discuss the risks of eating raw produce, especially at room
temperature. Where's your concern about that?

Have a happy, safe, and prosperous 2005, Jim.