usual suspect

C. James Strutz wrote:
>>>I wonder if you also enjoyed the increased risk of hepatitis,

>>The last major outbreak of food-borne hepatitis in the US involved GREEN
>>ONIONS. Most food-borne illnesses in the US are caused by produce.

> Prove it.

...[F]ederal health surveillance of food-borne diseases from
1993 to 1997 found 2,751 outbreaks. Those outbreaks totaled
12,537 individual cases involving fruits and vegetables,
compared with 6,709 cases involving meat.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...od-cover_x.htm

See also:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/food...mics121103.cfm

>>>bacterial contamination,

>>Most food-borne illnesses in the US are caused by produce.

> Prove it.

...[F]ederal health surveillance of food-borne diseases from
1993 to 1997 found 2,751 outbreaks. Those outbreaks totaled
12,537 individual cases involving fruits and vegetables,
compared with 6,709 cases involving meat.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...od-cover_x.htm

My point is proven.

>>>and intestinal parasites.

>>Not related only to meat consumption. More people become ill from tainted
>>produce, not from tainted meat.
>>
>>http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/parasite.htm

> Your link does not prove that "more people become ill from tainted produce"
> than from tainted meat.

That site supports the previous sentence. See the article cited above if
you have any quibble about the number of people who become ill from
tainted produce compared to meat.

> In fact, I snipped this from your link: "People get
> toxoplasmosis the following ways: - By consuming foods (such as raw or
> undercooked meats, especially pork, lamb, or wild game) or drinking
> untreated water (from rivers or ponds) that may contain the parasite."

You also conveniently left out the fact that nearly every parasite
listed on that site can enter a host through contaminated produce.

> And this from http://www.mass.gov/dph/fpp/retail/pdf/gensus1.pdf
>
> "There are several food safety concerns, which are unique to the preparation
> and service of sushi in the retail setting. The rice handles best at
> temperatures between 70 and 80 F, which is a favorable temperature range for
> pathogen growth."

That pdf also gives instructions for safe handling. Sushi is quite safe
when safely and conscientiously prepared.
http://www.sushiran.com/etcetera/safe.html
http://www.fehd.gov.hk/safefood/food...ry/making.html

> Enjoy your sushi....

I did. I also enjoy the fact that ninnies like you take exception to it.

>>>You can buy native wild rice that occurs naturally and is harvested
>>>without involving ANY animal deaths.

>>Wild rice would be horrible wrapped in seaweed. The wild rice of which you
>>speak is also not widely available.

> I didn't necessarly mean for sushi.

Well, dummy, I wanted sushi today.

> You talked generally of rice
> contributing to thousands of animal deaths and I'm telling you it doesn't
> have to be that way. Native wild rice IS available - I recently bought some
> online.

Was it handpicked? Not stored in any kind of granary or food warehouse?
Hand-delivered? If yes to any of the previous questions, it's NOT CD-free.

>>>Because it's at least one less death.

>>Objecting only to 1001st death. Why be so cavalier about the lives of the
>>first 1000?

> I'm not being cavalier at all.

Yes, you are.

> I know I can't save all 1001 lives so any
> life that I save is better than none.

Your objection is *only* to the one that's eaten.