Art Sackett

krusty kritter > wrote:

> You do mean Uncle Nikita's missiles in Cuba, don't you? I like to think that
> one of Uncle Sam's stray rockets never went thataway any farther than
> Titusville...

Actually, being a youngster (I'm only 43), I was in the Air Force when
Reagan took office -- so our greatest concern was SLBM's that could
have come from Soviet subs hiding south of Cuba.

The radar was built in the 60's to do spacetrack, and got the missile
warning role later. It's one of the least radar-lookin' things you'd
ever see:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/.../an-fps-85.htm

We also took good long looks at new satellites that the Soviets put up,
many of which were debris clouds by the time they reached our coverage
area.

I don't know how everyone else feels about it, but I really do
appreciate good war stories and I thank you for sharing yours. My
biggest and best stories are all pretty tame.

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication