Roy Basan

Default Puff Pastry and Croissants

Kenneth > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:57:37 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Mike Acord" > wrote in message
> >> Has anyone tried making croissants from frozen puff pastry dough? It
> >> would seem to be an easy thing to cut triangles rom the dough, roll
> >> them, and bake. I have not tried it, as I just thought of it, but i
> >> would be interested in the input from someone with more free time.
> >> Mike Acord

> >You wouldn't be making croissants. As has already been pointed out,
> >croissant dough is yeasted and puff pastry is not. They are both laminated
> >doughs. That is where the similarity begins and ends.
> >

> Howdy,
>
> I would add that the best croissants are not risen with commercial
> yeast but instead use natural leavening (what many would call
> sourdough.)
>
> All the best,

Sourdough croissants?
If that croissant is in the classification of the viennese pastries
therefore flaky, whether its bakers yeast raised or sourdough does not
matter.The latter does not lend either to a good quality product.
Besides croissants even with normal yeast takes some time to proof if
that is leavened with starter( needs longer proofing than normal
bakers yeast raised croissant),by that time its fully proofed for
baking the roll in fat( likely butter) will have started to ooze out
affecting the flakiness of the end product.Or there is the tendency
that the descrite layering obtained by careful dough laminating
process will be reduced due to the acidity which weakens the gluten
and make it appear squat looking
Therefore the more flaky and well laminated you want from that item
its is sensible that the product must be not be standing in a proofer
for a really extended period in order to obtain an optimum quality
plump looking croissants.
However if you are looking at croissant shape roll which can be
appropriately called crescents with no or just minimal fat( no
layering) then that will be desirable as the flavor of sourdough will
give it and added edge.
BTW, with the standard croissants dough ,even by adding and old dough
will already confer some slight sourness to the product which makes
the consumer think that is really made with sourdough.
Best Croissants should have a distinctive buttery taste, flaky
texture with nice flavor( not too sour but aromatic) .It should have a
balance in taste with no overpowering acidic taste that is strongly
associated with sourdough and less with such viennoisierre.
Roy