Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:10:25 -0600, (Cwdjrx _)
wrote:

>Most of us have heard of a wine we would like to taste, but are very
>unlikely to have the chance to do so. Let us limit ourselves to wines
>that might still be drinkable, although I and most woud like to taste
>ancient Greek and Roman wines that were highly valued in their day. Also
>you must drink the wine soon and can not sell it, so value and
>increasing a collection are not an issue.
>
>I would most like to taste the 1727 Rudesheimer Apostelwein from the
>cask in the Ratskeller in Bremen. Of course this old cask has to be
>refreshed from time to time to replace evaporation loss, but only very
>little is ever drawn out for tasting. Michael Broadbent has been allowed
>to taste it and describes it in detail in one of his books. The taste is
>quite different from anything else you are likely to taste from Germany.
>Broadbent rated it as 2-star for pleasure and 5-star for interest.

My wishes are much less specific than several of the responses I've
seen here. Those spoiled by years of tasting fine wines professionally
or as a perq of successful careers or inheritance might find my
desires a bit mundane and pedestrian, but we walk in the mocassins
we've brought.

First, let me note that I've still got a couple of wonderful memories
from my years in Europe--experiences that opened the door to wine and
impressed me with the potential of the grape. The most lasting was a
night at Lameloise in France during a five day trip that also included
Les Freres Troisgros and Alain Chapel. It was my first exposure to
"real" Burgundy. Two bottles accompanied that wonderful dinner and,
unfortunately as a beginner at the game, I failed to record the
details of vintage or bottler--my only recollection was that the first
was a Vosne-Romanee (drawing on Hugh Johnson's Pocket Guide
recommendation that "there are no bad wines from V-R"), and the second
a Grands Echezaux, which remains as the single most memorable wine
I've ever tasted. (Just by interpolation, the vintages would have been
around early '70s, since the year was 1980.)

That being said, here's my dreams of wines to taste and I offer them
without vintage ('cause I'm not smart enough to know the difference.)

1. Ch. Petrus
2. Ch. Margaux
3. A DRC
4. Ch. Y'Quem
(I've had a true Montrachet.)

See, I'm not that hard to please. And, my calendar is wide open....

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org