Janet Puistonen

Alex Rast wrote:
> at Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:47:07 GMT in <fsYxd.5834$152.1498@trndny01>,
> (Janet Puistonen) wrote :
>

>> "SC" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> I was wondering if anyone here knows of some good places to find
>>> chocolate molds.
>>>
>>> Also, I have been searching for molds on the Internet and have found
>>> some really nice metal antique ones. What is the best material for
>>> molds? Is metal better than plastic?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>>
>>> SC
>>>

>> I've never used metal, but I have to think that plastic is better.
>> Rigid plastic is the best.

> Why would you think plastic would be better? IMHO plastic would be
> worse, because the chocolate picks up odours from the plastic and
> develops a plasticky flavour. Furthermore, virtually all plastic
> pieces are more breakable than metal, so in the long run you'll
> probably lose the moulds to breakage.

The major reason I assume they are better is because professional
chocolatiers choose to use them.

The professional molds I use do not pick up flavors or odors and certainly
do not make chocolate taste of plastic. They are extremely strong, and I
cannot imagine how I could break one--except perhaps with an axe.

Metal molds are if anything more "breakable" because they can be bent and
dinged easily.

> The only advantage I can see to plastic moulds is with the flexible
> ones, where you can pop it out of the mould, eliminating any
> demoulding difficulties, but this wouldn't apply to the rigid plastic
> ones.

Molded chocolates release and pop out of the rigid molds easily when they
are "done." Flexible molds, on the other hand, are harder to use and easy
to damage. Rigid molds can be cleaned in a dishwasher, and the common type
of flexible ones cannot (they warp).

> Ideally, one would want a flexible, nonreactive metal mould - thin
> stainless steel or perhaps tin or brass. Generally, however, it seems
> these are hard to find except as antiques. I'd look for a good
> antique set - if you've found some online, I'd investigate those.

With all due respect, I think that would be a huge waste of money if you
actually want to use the molds to make chocolates. If you want to collect
them for the fun of it, go ahead.

Do be aware that there is a big difference between a professional-quality
mold and one of those bendy things that can also be used to make soap or
candles.
--
Janet

Dear Artemesia! Poetry's a Sna/Bedlam has many Mansions:have a
ca/ Your Muse diverts you, makes the Reader sad:/ You think your
self inspir'd; He thinks you mad.