Dutch

"John Coleman" > wrote in message

> "Dutch" > wrote in message
> 8<
> > > It is not an ideal, everyone can seek to avoid the exploitation of

> > animals,
> > > even an Innuit.

> > That doesn't make it not an ideal. It's a misguided ideal.
> >

> Anything that can practically be done is not an ideal.

Most who attend this forum are still engaging in some form of animal use,
although none is *necessary*. All are engaged in some form of animal
killing, despite the fact that the vegan ideal is based on elimination of
animal killing. Practicality is irrelevant in matters of morality, that is
the fundamental insoluble problem with extend politics into the animal
world.

> Vegans do not ask for
> perfection, idealists do.

Vegans particularly do not require perfection from themselves, in fact
whatever degree of accordance with "the rule" is typically and
self-flatteringly called "*the best* I can do". The problem is, in matters
of morality, that's not good enough. If it's immoral to abuse children, then
to be moral you must not do it AT ALL.

> An idealist would expect free petrol rather than
> cheaper petrol for example. Veganism is defined in terms of "seeking" and
> where "practical and possible", so it is pragmatic and general.

It's sloppy and self-servingly loose when vegans want it to be, and
dogmatically strict when they want that.