Dutch

"John Coleman" > wrote in message
news

> "Dutch" > wrote in message
> 8<
> > There is nothing about Macdougall's proposed diet that makes me believe

> it's
> > anything more than just one more scheme to sell books, cds and "wellness
> > events". Anyone who claims that all the accumulated common sense and
> > research of the past must be discarded in favour of a whole new regime

is
> > highly suspect.

> Challenging the exsiting dogma is the method in science.

Prevailing wisdom in nutrition is not dogma, it's based on decades of
research.

There are several
> examples in the history of science where all of the exsiting knowledge was
> discarded because of new facts or logic.

Not really, unless you mean "flat earth" theory. Science tends to progress
incrementally, new developments building upon the existing base of
knowledge.

However, in this case the "existing
> dogma", i.e. eat just about anything you like

"eat just about anything you like" is not the existing wisdom of nutrition.

> balanced diet etc... is
> nothing like science or even common sense.

I note that you use this same sophistry trick of tossing bad ideas in with
ones you are trying to discredit. Do you do that consciously, or is it a
reflex?

> Common sense is nothing to do with rational debate.

Not when talking to vegans.