Stan (the Man)

steve376 wrote:
> Dose anyone have have any knowledge of the Traeger Wood Pellet Grill. Pros
> or Cons http://www.traegergrills.com/
> Thanks Steve

I've had the Texas model for several years now and love it. I do
recommend adding the residential thermostat for a bit better temp control.

The only con I can think of is that the pellets are expensive (about $35
for 40lbs). Actually, the grill is also expensive, but, if you live on
the west coast, both the grill and the pellets can be less expensive.
Since Traeger doesn't charge shipping, that cost has to be built in to
the price. I live in NY, so I paid full freight. I've heard of people
who live closer to Oregon dickering the price and getting a good
reduction in both the cost of the grill and the pellets.

I managed to find a local distributor who gives me a decent price on the
pellets if I buy in bulk. I bought 10 bags last time for $20 per.
They'll last me several years.

As far as cooking, it does an excellent job. The temps are reasonably
steady, so you needn't tend it like a normal wood smoker. Put a brisket
on at midnight, it's ready by noon the next day. And, they have a nice
selection of wood flavors.

I recommend it highly.

--
Stan