Scott Taylor

Default Pastry Cream using Coconut Milk

"Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
om...
> Good day: I am making a coconut cake and would like to use pastry
> cream as a filling between layers -- is it possible to substitute
> coconut milk for regular milk in the pastry cream??????? As always,
> my thanks to all of you.

This is not exactly what you're looking for, but the end result should be
the same. It's from Emily Luchetti's book, A Passion for Desserts.

Coconut Pastry Cream:

1-1/2 C. milk

1-1/4 C. unsweetened coconut, toasted

4 large egg yolks

1/4 cup sugar

Pinch of salt

1/4 cup all purpose flour

Scald milk and stir in coconut. Cover pan and let steep for 10 minutes.

Strain milk and return to saucepan. Heat to scalding temperature again.

Meanwhile, beat yolks, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Beat in flour. Slowly
whisk in coconut milk. Return to pan and cook until thickened, stirring
constantly.

Pour into bowl and cool. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.

-Scott