Jim Adney

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 02:37:17 GMT Repeating Rifle
> wrote:

>Most applications have wire smaller than 1/4" For example, #10 wire, by
>eyeball, is about 1/10". And that is diameter. This skin effect is what
>limits the effective size of the conductor.

You're correct, at the consumer's end, but I believe the concern over
losses was more for the power transmission lines. At 60 Hz, the skin
depth is about 1 cm (~3/8") so this is already a factor with 4/0
cable.

Inside your home it's irrelevant.

I suspect that for long distance transmission lines the stranding is
often a mix of plated steel on the inside for strength and copper on
the outside for conductivity. The skin depth makes that a reasonable
choice.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA