Roy Basan

Default Icing secret ???

(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com>...

(Roy Basan) wrote in message . com>...

(N. Thornton) wrote in message om>...

> > > Every one of your points you raised here was already answered in my
> > > post to which you responded - except one. The answer to that one is
> > > caprylic acid. You sound to me like a true fool. You dont seem to have
> > > followed any of it, or applied even basic sense. I wish you luck with
> > > your bakery, though it doesnt sounds like your range is anything to
> > > write home about.

> > Really? why don't you try working in the same situation as me and see
> > if you can just apply easily what you think is good for you is good
> > for the rest of the people?.

> The only and the obvious way forward is to make a bit at home and try
> it. Or accept you havent tried it.
>

> > Meanwhile....
> > I have talked about your idea to other technicaly trained bakery
> > people ,They were laughing out loudly, and one of them and asked
> > me .
> > Is this NT guy really sober? Is he real a person or another entity
> > from elswehere.
> > From what planet did he came from?
> > Roy

> Yeah, I'm not surprised. If they had sense they wouldnt have picked
> catering, its hardly a good career choice.
>
> Look at it this way Roy, if you dont try any new input you wont
> discover anything new to you. I've used it and its yum. Your missed
> chance to find out if its another string to your bow or not, doesnt
> bother me.
>

> Regards, NT

You really had loony tastes then.....

I do not know NT but in that discussion with the group over bottles
of beer.It was just a funny topic that brought so much laughter.
They tried to find out the possible outcome of such combination. It is
standard shortening based icing formulation to use sugar as the base
and the fat is just the secondary ingredient.
If you had to prepare the ordinary buttercream made with shortening
creaming it by itself without sugar does not led to a desirable
structure.
If you had to use a palette knife to spread that over a cake its just
akin spreading margarine to a piece of bread.
Or if you want it to be less light you just can take the shortening
from the tub and plasticize it a bit and spread and what will be the
outcome. It is slightly firmer but insipid and nothing but fat.
Or in your case, the coconut fat has a sharp melting point you just
have to melt carefully and pour it over the product being decorated.
That is enrobing like what you do with chocolate.One of the
apprentices I remember did even tried to use melted cocoa butter to
enrobed his cookies and the results was 'inedible' that many who
tasted the cookie puked . How much more with coconut fat which is
bland and even if laced with cardamom its still taste gross.
One of the mates asked. What does caprylic acid( he read your last
post)do to the functionality of coconut fat, nothing significant....it
may contribute to the very slight improvement of the coconut fat aroma
but that particular fat together with lauric acid is one cause of the
flavor deterioration and spoilage of coconut fat.

Now one of the guys argued; you do not have sugar then you are not
likely to smother the fat with heaps of powdered cardamom spice and
use the considerable of it that it will appear as speckled icing. It
will be grossly overpowering.
A fundammental role of such cake coating is that it will complement
the cake being decorated not surpass the taste of the cake.
Now you have a cake which as typical sweet taste. Then you coat that
with a bland icing ( no sugar).
He quipped further unless that customer is another a loony, or
another alien, maybe it would work.
That is why he remarked if the creator of this 'loony icing' is not
human being<g> but some form an alien (and due to superior
intelligence was able to look like a man)who had been in this earth
for some time,but had wacky taste, who really love the pungent flavor
of cardamom which is not avaialable in their planet<g>. He further
said , do you mind if you ask him from what solar system is your
planet in this universe.
He just love UFO stories ,and if not for his wife who opposed, he
could have named his bakery ' The Hidden Planet Cake Shop'
But unfortunately even if he likes reading about aliens he
vehemently detest their tastes (just taking you as an example).

It really does not make sense...how its figured out.
In addition one of my mates countered. If that guy NT is really
serious about it how can he possibly eat a cake coated with fat and
cardamom spice.
He reasoned what is in cardamom spice that can mimic sugar, nothing.
It is just a fibrous matter a conglomerate of protein, starches
,fiber and slight fat and essential oil.
It is a fact in the bakery products that even cardamom addition in the
bakery products does not bode well if the customer is not used to it
in a certain bakery item.
It is added in measured amounts only for seleced products such as
danish pastry,some spice cakes and certain other sweet goods,
gingerbread, and cookies.
No matter how we look at it ,and try to find a reality to your no
sugar coconut spice icing, we cannot think of something sensible
(but the sheer silliness) of the idea.

Maybe it is just idea or your way of spreading fat into your
sandwiches, but instead of plain or herbed butter or margarine.
YOu prefer that combination?
A extremely personal preferrence then.
Sorry NT, nothing personal...

Roy