Kim E

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
news:20041210174643.2fddc62c@wafer...
> My grandmother used to make fudge every christmas. I never appreciated
> how skilled she was at this until other people started offering me home
> made fudge. Gramma Jorgensen's fudge was boutique store grade, at the very
> least. When people offer me their hackneyed attempts at 'divinity' it's
> all
> i can do to smile through it.
>
> I'm in favor of anyone trying to become better at making Fudge, while
> eschewing 'fudge'. It's a worthy endeavor. Fudge fabrication is a matter
> of
> science, artistry, and meteorology that i don't have the time to pursue.
> 'fudge' on the other hand, you can get from velveeta.
>
> The OP seems to want a cookie with a soft, chocolate flavored crumb.
> These are uncommon but not unheard of. iirc one of the Betty Crocker books
> includes a recipe for such a cookie, with walnuts in it. An adventurous
> baker could replace the nuts with more chocolate.
>
> alt.cookies.yum.yum.yum is the appropriate forum for the search. I have
> eaten the above mentioned cookies but do not have easy access to the
> recipe
> and won't be spending any of my free time looking for it, having far less
> free time due to gainful, meaningful employment.
>
> The problem with the request is that it's nearly impossible to make a
> soft-crumb drop-cookie with a lot of stuff in it, without ending up with
> just a little ball of cookie-mass. It's a matter of physics. Not that i
> mind eating the occasional well-made dome-shaped chocolate chip cookie.
> Your roll-and-cut variety is similarly thin, and often hard, and doesn't
> adapt well to filling.
>
> You could get somewhere with a bar cookie, but it'd be basically a
> brownie.

LOL, this was a far more well-thought out response than I thought I'd get
with my little cookie recipe request! I had not sufficiently considered
the physics involved when I agreed to make a very soft chocately cookie for
one of my cousins. I found a couple of recipe that basically look like
fudge cookies - do you want me to report back after I make them?

-kim