Jarkat2002

Default Quinoa

>Kat,
>
>Some things to consider:
>
>1. Quinoa has a very distinctive taste and very strong taste for a
>grain. You can substitute all you want, but it will taste different.
>Not bad or good, but different. The taste of quinoa can actually
>overpower other tastes. If I was to guess what to substitute, it
>would be wild rice. Maybe brown rice. (See #2 below.)
>
>2. Quinoa cooks fairly quickly and barley cooks slowly. Keep this in
>mind when trying to substitute an uncooked grain.
>
>3. I don't believe Quinoa expands as much as barley or even rice when
>cooked. This is hard to estimate because quinoa is a very small,
>round seed. So even if it expanded 100%, it would be hard to see.
>(The grain to water ratio is the standard 2:1, so it has to expand
>when it soaks up the water.)
>
>If you really want to follow the original recipe, I'd try to locate
>quinoa at health food type stores or on line.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Ken

Thank you for all of the great information ... I can't wait to give quinoa a
try
~Kat

"I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet if I
were not in this body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be classified
and qualified. But, oh, I cry out aginst it." --Sylvia Plath