Scott Kaczorowski

Craig Bergren > wrote in
news
> Now you are attributing ideas to me that I didn't think. I
> never wrote that Bud was un-American, only that Miller is
> more American. If we take into consideration hops, Bud is
> loses even more All American points because not only do
> they use more grains that didn't originate in the US, they
> use hops that aren't even grown here.

I get your first point (hops grown in the US v. those that
are not). Bud makes a big deal (or did) out of using Saazer.
At <13IBU you can't taste 'em...so who gives a ****? Blow
200 semis through Willamette and buy all the second-grade
Cascade you can find. Bud's chemists will find a way...

Re Miller. The following is from my June 14, 1997 visit to
Miller Irwindale with Master Brewer...Oh, let's call him
'Brewer G'. The words are mine, not his (brackets are added
specifically for this post):

<<<
HOPS

Miller uses many more varieties of hops than I would have
guessed.
Included are Galena, Cluster, Mt. Hood, and Cascade. None
are leaf [err, flower], some are in pellet form, but most of
the hops used are in the form of
extracts, which, unfortunately, were not labeled as to
variety.

Some of the boxes containing hop pellets were labelled "de-
bittered". I
asked "Brewer G" if these were the fabled hop hearts, but he
had no idea what
I was talking about. I guess he doesn't watch as much TV as
I do. But
I suspect that these were them. It was interesting to note
that alpha
acid ratings were printed on the non-"de-bittered" boxes, but
there was
no alpha rating on the boxes in question. The de-bittered
pellets
themselves had no aroma whatsoever [though the ambient temp
was ~40F so, duh].

Scott Kaczorowski
Seal Beach, CA