Scott Kaczorowski

"Lew Bryson" > wrote in
news
Prodigy? They're still there? That's cool. No sarcasm
intended.

>> > Some people think they can taste the corn in Miller,

>> That's a pretty neat trick, since Miller uses mainly corn
>> syrup (and some brewer's corn),

No, stick with the former. Miller uses only corn syrup. No
actual corn to be seen. They actually have a "hot shed" that
they can pull the rail cars full of "dextrose" through. The
whole thing (corn syrup, the tank it's in, the rail car it
sits on, etc.) are all heated to 90F so that the syrup is
more viscous (oh, carp [sic]...less viscous...flows more,
like, better).

>> and the corn syrup is
>> mainly sugar, so it ferments out fairly cleanly. If you
>> taste "corn" flavors in beer, it's due to something else.

Wha...!? Can you say PreProPils?

Of course, corn-ish flavors can be the result of poor
process. But corn, if used intentionally, can certainly
contribute to flavor and aroma.

> Don't tell Joel, he's sure he tastes corn in S*iner B*ck.

You can't? That falls into the "Seriously?" category.

Scott Kaczorowski
Seal Beach, CA

> www.lewbryson.com

Heh! I LOVE it!

How are things with you, Lew? I hope they are well.