graham

"Scot" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Does anyone recognize this fruitcake recipe? I got it from someone who
> says
> it was handed down from her Scottish side of the family. It's a dark,
> moist
> fruitcake, far from any fruitcake I've known that are always too dry and
> suffer from other ailments. This recipe is a 10 on a scale where all
> other
> fruitcake recipes are a 2 or 3 at best. I'm trying to determine a more
> specific Scottish affiliation and locale for this recipe.
>
> Scottish (?) Fruitcake
>

> 1 1/4 cup water
>
> 1/3 cup shortening or oil
>
> 1 cup sugar
>
> 1/2 tblsp nutmeg
>
> 2 tblsp cinnamon
>
> 1/2 tblsp cloves
>
> 2 cups flour
>
> 1 tsp baking powder
>
> 1 tsp salt
>
> 1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 2 tsp hot water
>
> Brandy or Rum as desired
>
> Double or triple above ingredients as needed.
>

> Add candied fruit, nuts and raisons as desired.
>

> Cook raisons, water, shortening, sugar and spices together 3 minutes.
>
> Add dry ingredients, baking soda and candied fruit and nuts.
>
> Pour into loaf pans, and bake at 325-350 for 50 minutes.

This is commonly known as a "Boiled Fruit Cake" in the UK and there are
several regional versions. Do not treat it like a conventional fruit cake.
It must not be kept to mature like xmas cakes. I gave one to a friend who
kept it for 2 months, wrapped of course. She iced it and tried to serve it
to guests on xmas day but it would have blunted a chainsaw;-(

Be very careful when you add the dry ingredients. The soda can cause it to
boil over!
Graham