Scot

Default Scottish fruitcake recipe?

Does anyone recognize this fruitcake recipe? I got it from someone who says
it was handed down from her Scottish side of the family. It's a dark, moist
fruitcake, far from any fruitcake I've known that are always too dry and
suffer from other ailments. This recipe is a 10 on a scale where all other
fruitcake recipes are a 2 or 3 at best. I'm trying to determine a more
specific Scottish affiliation and locale for this recipe.

Scottish (?) Fruitcake

1 1/4 cup water

1/3 cup shortening or oil

1 cup sugar

1/2 tblsp nutmeg

2 tblsp cinnamon

1/2 tblsp cloves

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 2 tsp hot water

Brandy or Rum as desired

Double or triple above ingredients as needed.

Add candied fruit, nuts and raisons as desired.

Cook raisons, water, shortening, sugar and spices together 3 minutes.

Add dry ingredients, baking soda and candied fruit and nuts.

Pour into loaf pans, and bake at 325-350 for 50 minutes.