DPM

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:08:51 GMT in <D0kvd.3231$Z%1.2159@trnddc03>,
> (DPM) wrote :
>
> >I just received a block of this from Chocosphere. Very fruity, with a
> >cherry/almond/hazelnut profile; delicious, but idiosyncratic. I'm
> >wondering what the other couverture blocs are like. Has anyone tried the
> >others? Alex, any opinions?

> Each of the varietals is different, distinctive, and generally IMHO sets
> the reference standard for its varietal.
>
> The Colombian is unbelievable - an exploration of subtle, floral taste in

> chocolate, one of the great chocolates in the world and a perfect

chocolate
> to pair with rosewater. This is the chocolate to buy for Valentine's Day -
> it's so seductive, anyone tasting it will swoon.
>
> Ecuador Nacional is powerful and bold. It's got all the Arriba

signatures -
> blackberry, tobacco, woody, with that bitter hint characteristic of

Arriba.
> It is excellent mixed with milk or cream - such as in a pudding or

truffle.

> Madagascar Criollo is a study in complementary components. There's

flavours
> of blueberry, spices, and cocoa in there, a complexity remarkable for a
> varietal. This is a superb chocolate for cakes, cookies, and other baked
> goods.
>
> Then there's the Etienne blends.
>
> Coucher du Soleil is somewhat like Sur Del Lago, but less fruity. There's
> an initial fruity hit, then it quickly becomes more of a cocoa/coffee
> flavour. There is a sharp bitterness to the finish, a characteristic that
> knocks it down a notch in my book. It's still quite good, though.
>
> L'Harmonie is the best of the blends. It's incredibly complex, reminding

me
> a lot of Valrhona's Gran Couva, with elements of just about every

desirable
> flavour component in it. However, this complexity is never jarring or
> confusing. It makes for a superb, yet highly characterised,

general-purpose
> chocolate.
>
> Lever du Soleil maintains Guittard's excellence in the 60-65% class. This
> one is very dark and clearly contains components of the Ecuador Nacional

in
> it - a strong chocolate at its percentage, and one where with the dark
> roast it receives minimises the bitterness.
>
> La Nuit Noire, however, is a complete disappointment. It just tastes very
> sugary, like candy. There might be hints of peach and strawberry in there,
> but it's pretty faint. It's just not even in the same world as the other
> chocolates.
>
> Then finally, there are the 2 old standbys, the traditional blends.
>
> Gourmet Bittersweet is a chocolate that, if you've read the NG in the

past,
> you already know my opinions on. Quite simply, the best chocolate in the
> world. Need I say more?
>
> French Vanilla is also very, very good. No, it doesn't have the power of
> Gourmet bittersweet but it's a nice exercise in subtlety. The flavour has
> an earthy, molasses cast to it, especially appropriate for chocolate mixed
> with cinnamon and other such spices.
>
> There's the rundown, at least for the dark chocolates. If you'd like my
> opinion on the milks, as well, let me know.
>

> --
> Alex Rast

Alex,

Thanks for your opinions. I suspect I'll try them all.

On a completely different note: I was in Milan in October, and intended to
bring back some chocolate. I tried 3 stores, and the only Italian producer
I could find was Venchi! I asked for Amedei, even spelling it to compensate
for my execrable Italian, and one shopkeeper acted like he never heard of
it! I found Valhrona, ironically, but not Domori. What gives? Are these
producers that esoteric?

Regards,
Dean