Katra

Default Homemade Prepared/Frozen Meals

Nancy Young wrote:

> Katra wrote:

> > > What do you mean by shakes? I realize that might sound like a
> > > simplistic question, but are they liquid or do you have to mix a
> > > powder with milk/whatever.

> > Yes, it is a powder packet that you can mix with milk or juice.

> This is the problem. The people I'm talking about have caregivers,
> but when they didn't, even making toast or peeling a banana was out
> of their ability or desire to eat. I didn't realize how bad it was
> for some time. Speaking of the original poster's situation, I am
> concerned that they are not eating because even the small task of
> mixing up a shake might make them not use them. I'm only speaking
> from experience, not arguing with you in any way.

I understand, and you are right!

Even my dad won't fix a decent meal for himself if I'm not here.
I usually cook enough at brunch for him to have the same thing for
dinner while I am at work. He just has to nuke it. :-)

> Do you know of a decent already mixed shake? I try to get the
> high protein drinks, but even then, they aren't all that high, but
> they are better than not eating.

Oh yes! They are a bit more expensive than the powders, but both Isopure
and EAS make a pre-mixed shake. Seriously, do check GNC and their
pre-mixed body building shakes in cans and/or cartons. The average
content is anywhere from 20 to 40 grams of protein! And they have added
vitamins etc.

Those are actually pretty tasty.

Isopure also has some liquid drinks that are about 40 grams of protein
each in both orange and fruit punch. They are like drinking cool-aid and
are very tasty! I used to use those in place of water to make fortified
Jello, and popsickles for mom when she was dying. GNC will often place
special orders too! I ordered the Isopure orange flavor by the case.

Pick up a copy of Muscular Development magazine and check the ads. Might
give you some ideas. :-) Protein shakes are not what they used to be.
Not at all... They have become very advanced.

Now if one of them would just come up with a decent tasting bar.... <G>

> > I personally like Isopure as it is never gritty, and stirs in with a
> > spoon very well. The chocolate and vanilla are both excellent, and that
> > brand is highly fortified and the Whey protein in it is Lactose free!

> I will have to look for that. Hmmm, I wonder if there is a GNC in
> the mall. I will be there Monday, doing my Christmas shopping (sigh).

Many malls have a GNC, and you can also check their website for locations!

> > > Yeah, though sometimes it's too late, sorry to say.

> > Don't dwell on it... I lost mom last year, so daddums is living with me
> > now, and seems to like my cooking. He is also good about taking vitamin supplements.

> That's good to hear.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm talking about alz sufferers who live on long
> after their brain does. Horrid illness.
>
> nancy

<shiver> You have my empathy on that one... :-( It's bad enough that dad
has such a bad short term memory, but it improves a LOT after about 3
weeks on L-Glutamine supplements! He just has to remember to take it.
<G> I need to start adding it to the buttermilk he's been drinking
lately to make sure he gets it. It also helps his energy levels.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra