hahabogus

Default Homemade Prepared/Frozen Meals

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Katra wrote:

>> > What do you mean by shakes? I realize that might sound like a
>> > simplistic question, but are they liquid or do you have to mix a
>> > powder with milk/whatever.

>> Yes, it is a powder packet that you can mix with milk or juice.

> This is the problem. The people I'm talking about have caregivers,
> but when they didn't, even making toast or peeling a banana was out
> of their ability or desire to eat. I didn't realize how bad it was
> for some time. Speaking of the original poster's situation, I am
> concerned that they are not eating because even the small task of
> mixing up a shake might make them not use them. I'm only speaking
> from experience, not arguing with you in any way.
>
> Do you know of a decent already mixed shake? I try to get the
> high protein drinks, but even then, they aren't all that high, but
> they are better than not eating.
>
>> I personally like Isopure as it is never gritty, and stirs in with a
>> spoon very well. The chocolate and vanilla are both excellent, and
>> that brand is highly fortified and the Whey protein in it is Lactose
>> free!

> I will have to look for that. Hmmm, I wonder if there is a GNC in
> the mall. I will be there Monday, doing my Christmas shopping (sigh).

>> > Yeah, though sometimes it's too late, sorry to say.

>> Don't dwell on it... I lost mom last year, so daddums is living with
>> me now, and seems to like my cooking. He is also good about taking
>> vitamin supplements.

> That's good to hear.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm talking about alz sufferers who live on long
> after their brain does. Horrid illness.
>
> nancy

Up here (Canada) you can sign up with meals on wheels...a volunteer drives
a warm meal over and hand delivers it and stops in to chat for a bit (check
up on)...This poses some problems though...Some elderley look on recieving
the food as charity and don't like it. Plus any mass cooked meal doesn't
taste like "what I used to make" or isn't "what I like" to the older set.
The elderly live longer if they live outside of institutes, in their own
homes.

But if the meals on wheels idea is accepted the price is reasonable and the
service good.

Plus you can get the Canadian Postal Service (postman) to check on the
elderly during their rounds breifly, or you could last time I looked into
it. Perhaps it is the same where you live. My mother was checked by them
briefly. I mean they'll try and talk to the person and note anything that
might be out of place or unusual. My mother would pass out, just drop to
the floor. 2 times the postman called the ambluance for her, thank god.

Both of these services are good for what they are. But not a complete
package for elderley watching.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago