Hazels65

I liked the tamales cooked by a neighbor in Metairie, Louisiana. She came from
Honduras. They were very large compared to any I've ever seen, and did not
have that reddish meat in the center like the little ones. The masa harina was
seasoned delicately, cooked and then smeared on fresh banana leaves. On top
went marinated pork or chicken, a couple thin slices tomato, a few slices green
olives, thin-sliced onion, a few raisins.Sometimes she would put a thin slice
or two of potato in, and if you liked it spicy, a tiny red pepper. Then they
were wrapped in the banana leaves, tied with string, wrapped individually in
tin foil and steamed most of the day. She could never fill all the orders and
they sold for $2.50 each over 10 years ago. She would never part with her
seasoning recipe for the masa or the marinade for the pork. I tried. Sigh.
The combination of flavors was fabulous. She was a beautiful woman who had
been a professional dancer in Honduras, and when they fled to the US, they had
to leave everything behind.

One would make a meal, two would make a feast.

Henrietta