Graeme...in London

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> Doing a couple pounds of smoked salmon today, for my wife to take to
> an office party. Very simple:

And there was me thinking that you were being paid by your employer, to sit
in front of a computer somewhere in Idaho, and post to afb and ark all day
<g>

> Brined yesterday in the fridge for 2 1/2 hours in 1 quart cold water,
> 1/3 cup Kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and the juice of one lemon.
> They've been air-drying in the fridge overnight, to let the pellicle
> form. I'll put them on the K in awhile, over lump and a chunk or two
> of alder, with the temp at 200-225 F until the the fat begins to pool
> on top and the meat flakes easily.

Personally, I thoroughly recommend a sprinkling of dried or fresh fennel
seeds to both salmon and trout prior to smoking. There is something about
fennel, smoke and fish that works wonders with my palate.

> To be served with crackers, capers, and lemon wedges.

Oatcakes. Don't know how readily available they are in sunny ol' Idaho, but
they are a perfect partner with smoked fish.

You can always make an easy smoked fish pate with the scrag ends.

Graeme