nib

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> Phil wrote:

>>> LOL! That just made my decision harder! Is the Char-Broil brand a
>>> quality grill? I admit, the ability to switch between charcoal and gas
>>> is VERY enticing.

>> No, Char-broil is not a quality brand. I would stay away.
>>
>> Weber is a good company with a good product.
>> You will be able to buy parts for the Weber a few years down
>> the road.

> I can still buy parts for my 10 year old CharBroil. The most common ones
> are still stocked in big box and grill stores. The more esoteric ones
> are readily available from their web site.

His comment may have been made from my other post where I was asking
about the Vermont Casting brand, which I've had real trouble finding
much about online, which is very telling IMO.

>> You can call them on the phone and they will help you
>> solve problems. I have a Weber Genesis 1000 that is about
>> 12 years old, and it still works great.
>>

> My two 10 year old CharBroil (one branded Coleman) gassers are still
> running fine. One of them is has been used several times a week since new.

My dad has an old Char-Broil, probably over 10 years old, and it has
held up superbly. However, the solidness and quality of that grill
doesn't seem to be in the ones I've seen at Home Depot. To be fair, I
haven't seen any really old Webers so they may have lowered the quality
of their low-end grills too.

> Weber is a great company with excellent products, but CharBroil products
> can give many years of good service, typically at a lower price point.
>
> That said, I don't think I would recommend a dual fuel bucket style
> cooker to anyone. I would think that too many compromises would be made
> in the design to yield good performance with either fuel.

I think you're right.

nib