SportKite1

Default Homemade Prepared/Frozen Meals

>Hi. I'm Mary and have a cooking question.
>
>My parents are elderly and unwell. I live a few hundred miles away. They
>eat
>well when I am right there and cooking meals fresh for them, but otherwise
>they
>tend not to eat much of the time and both have become quite thin.

I manage a health food store in Florida. Most of my clientele are older folks.
Our vegetarian soups are a mainstay of many of their diets. They are tasty,
easy to eat (don't forget that sometimes old folks don't eat because of dental
issues), provide good nutrition and are loaded with fiber. My suggestion is to
make up gallons of various soups (they freeze beautifully) in individual
microwaveable containers. Just be sure to label them well with instructions,
type and date.

If you would like some suggestions/recipes that we use just ask, I'll be happy
to help.

Also, quick breads and muffins with added flax meal and oat bran freeze great
too. Add lots of bananas and blueberries for additional flavor and nutrition.

I'd also suggest that you contact a local health food store and ask if they
deliver. We deliver if specially requested by family members at no additional
cost. Smoothies, Fresh Vegie Juices, Soups, Sandwiches, Salads plus grocery
items and supplements. The occasional tip is appreciated.

Hope this helps
Ellen