Katra

Default Homemade Prepared/Frozen Meals

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> In article >,
> Katra > wrote:
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> > >
> > > MaryAnderson60 wrote:

> > <snipped>
> >
> > Met-Rx.
> >
> > One of the few really good, complete liquid meal replacements!
> > Better than Ensure or Boost any day of the week. :-)
> >
> > Also, anything by EAS. Both are fortified so are actually food
> > replacement shakes.
> >
> > There are a lot of good total meal replacement shakes and bars now
> > available at GNC. They are for bodybuilding so FAR superior
> > nutritionally to most of the high sugar crap sold at Pharmacies for the
> > elderly.
> >

> snipped
>
> These "meal replacements", regardless of who sells them, lack a lot of
> things. Fiber, for one. Old folks have enough problems consuming
> enough fiber. Some can and do get diarrhea from the meal replacements,
> which can make nutritional status worse. They're fine for occasional
> consumption, but nobody who can still eat should be on them as a sole
> source of nutrition. You also have to consider the positive
> psychological effects of eating real food, rather than eating some
> sawdust-flavored bar or drinking some potion. Most elderly people rebel
> at using these products, even when they really need them.
>
> Cindy, taking off the nutritionist hat
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

I won't argue with any of that... :-)

I have been studying sports nutrition for about 10 years, and I don't
think I suggested in my post that this be the ONLY source of food for
them... That would be bad. Even bodybuilders don't do that!

It's just a good way to add extra calories, and VITAMINS! It's very,
very difficult to get all of the vitamins and minerals that you need
with a regular diet, especially if you don't eat very much. And a lot of
older folks don't like to take pill supplements.

The shakes are just a convenient supplement, and some are specifically
designed for weight gain, and she did say that they were getting a bit thin.

But, as you pointed out, it depends on whether or not they will consume
them. That is why brand is important. Some are tastier than others and
have a better texture.

I'm just not impressed with Ensure as it is NOT very high in protein,
and I strongly believe that many people don't truly get the protein that
they need in their diets, and this contributes to muscle wasting in the
elderly. I base ALL of my meals pretty much around some type of meat. Or
eggs. My goal is a minimum of 50 grams per day.

Dad's muscles are coming back. :-) He was proudly showing me a nice
bicep the other day! LOL! His legs are looking better too. He was
getting "chicken legs" if you know what I mean.

I must be doing something right for him... <g>

Danke,

K.
--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra