Geoffrey Bard

Guittard's couverture chocolate is excellent in my opinion. My favorite
bean-to-bar chocolatiers are Domori and Pralus, so as you can tell my
chocolate standards are not low at all. In general I find our American
chocolate lousy, but there are exceptions, Guittard being the most noteable.

For a sweeter (61%) dark chocolate, try Guittard's Lever du Soleil - it has
no overpowering flavor notes, and is quite excellent. Guittard's Coucher du
Soleil is an excellent 72%. These are sold as couverture, though you can
get them in 1 Kg bags of discs (not chips, but broader) from Chocosphere,
who repackages the larger factory packages. Of course, health food stores
sell the Guittard Bittersweet, which Alex Rast rightly raves about. Eat
enough Guittard couverture and you'll be able to impress your friends when
eating chocolate candy, identifying the brand and formula of couverture
chocolate used in the coating.

It's a shame the Guittard couverture isn't sold as bars, perhaps minus the
soy lecithin for even better taste. As bars they would definitely join the
ranks of Amedei, Venchi, Domori, Pralus, Chocovic, etc. in popularity.

Geoff