john shaw

Hi all,

I'm going to go off slightly at a tangent on this post.

First of all. We had a delightful evening, with delightful friends. This
trip has been a voyage of discovery for us, not only oenolgogically
speaking, but also in terms of meeting some of the people who write here,
and perhaps best of all to act as a catalyst to enable people living near
each other to meet face to face.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:12:19 -0500, Ewan McNay > wrote:

>> A few tasty amuse-bouches started off the evening. First, little shot
>> glasses of a chickpea-soup with cumin, kind of "hummus in a glass."

I really liked this. Subtle, interesting and tasty.

> Then skewers with mussels and marinated cauliflower. Both tasty, but the
> best IMHO were
>> the last muse- skewers with chicken livers and (tender) dried apricots.
>> Yum.

Jacquie didn't agree with you over the chicken liver skewers, which she
found "crude". I know what she means, though I don't entirely agree with
her. We do quite a lot with chicken livers and I'd have looked to
something perhaps spicier and less powerful, however.

I was not too impressed by the mussel/cauliflower mix which I found ill
considered. Lacking in subtlety if you like. Interesting divergence of
opinion!!

My aperitif was an Oloroso Metusalem (Byass) which was delightful (Ewan
even liked it!). I felt it went pretty well with all the nibbles.

> Agreed. There seemed to be more experimentation in flavour combinations
> throughout the meal

I wouls agree that there was a lot of experimentation with flavour, but I
feel I should sound a note of caution here. Others have remarked upon the
significant divergence in flavours between different appearances of the
same dish, 20 minutes apart. That shouldn't happen, _especially_ if one is
being daring with unexpected flavour combinations. Such experiments (IMO)
are only really successful if extreme care is taken over the balance. I
know I am judging harshly, but at >$250 per couple all in, I think one
should be tough.

I have to cast a slight question mark over the competence in the kitchen.
I don't know whether it's the creator of the dishes who is not quite as
talented as he thinks he is, or whether it's in the execution. In one or
two dishes, I got a slight impression of muddle. If I'd asked someone,
"Why did you add this ingredient?" I am not sure I'd get a convincing
reply. That said, the overall standard WAS extremely high, and the concept
is laudable and noteworthy.

I had:-
Scallops (glorious, no criticism possible)
Wild Mushroom ragout in fingerling potatoes. Excellent, though I'd have
prefered the overall dish to have fewer strands of flavour, to allow the
mushrooms to sing.
The skate. Cooked to perfection, but again I kept asking myself "Why ever
did he put that component in"

Finally, I had the pork, (loin, belly and sausage). The meats were
wonderful as was the saucing, but again I found the accompaniments a bit
over elaborate and perhaps even muddled.

As for the wines, I've talked about the Sherry. I agree with Dale over his
assessment of the Chablis, and with his slightly muted comments over the
Chinon, which wasn't as exciting as I'd hoped.

>> Good wine list, with some good choices from around the world. Prices are
>> reasonable for upscale restaurant. We stuck to less than $50 a bottle.

I felt that the prices were a little on the high side.
>> raspberry fruit and a light leafy quality, a pleasant café-quaffer.

Fair comment, though I'd have hoped for better at the price.

> This (the sticky) was the Rutherglen Chambers Rosewood Muscadelle.

Anj old friend of mine from our Australian trip, which is why I suggested
it as a possible wine for the desserts we chose.

> Delightful meal -

Agreed, and (as before) I've been ultra tough in my criticism.

ATB
Ian

PS Thanks to Ewan for making the booking.