Greykits

Default Homemade Prepared/Frozen Meals

Snipped:

>Personally, I would cook them through. My experience has been that
>even reheating a dinner becomes a major challenge as people get older.
>I would also cut the ingredients small, and don't send them in huge
>portions. Elderly people just do not eat much.
>
>> Can anyone tell me if homemade mashed potatos are still good
>> after freezing?

>I freeze leftover mashed potatoes. They're okay for me.
>
>> I would appreciate anyone sharing recipes that freeze well. Any hints

>about
>> preparing complete frozen meals, as opposed to just entrees, would also be

>most
>> welcome.

>All I can picture is that Tilia infomercial where they put complete
>dinners on divided microwavable plates and seal them. You should
>really also think about getting them cases of Boost or Ensure, those
>supplemental nutrition drinks. Something like that.
>
>Also, do you think they would eat fruit? The *occasional* fruit gift
>box be a good idea if you think they will eat it. I mean, some fresh
>food, you know?
>
>> Meals on Wheels would be ideal for my parents but they won't consider it.

>> even looked at "personal chefs" to cook for them every week but price is
>> prohibitive.

>You really might want to check to find someone who will (for a fee,
>obviously) stop in a couple of times a week to check up on them and
>maybe take them food shopping/whatever. Like a caregiver. They
>could ease your mind (or alert you) by letting you know how your
>parents doing. My experience is that parents are very good at
>pretending everything is just hunky dory.
>
>Good luck.
>
>nancy

I can't be of any help to the first poster as my 83-year-old parents live over
a thousand miles away. I have never had a Tilia, but I used to have that
seal-a-meal thing with bags you can boil (before microwaves) and I liked it for
single servings.

A brother has been sending Cracker Barrel treats to us for the past few years.
The packages contain ham and bacon and we use them up. When I was last at my
parents' house before the holiday season, they had one of those packages and my
mom wanted to give the ham away to a neighbor. Of course, she is not very
together, but it made it hard for me later to know what to send them. I find
it hard to buy them food gifts for the most part, as they might give them away
- with the exception of chocolates.

I wonder if the first poster's parents will reheat her meals, or if they will
go to waste. I'm sure she has a better take on her parents' preferences and
habits than I do, so it may work out fine. I agree with the spaghetti,
lasagne, stews, etc. I've also observed, as my parents aged, that they don't
like many spices nor salt in their food. And my dad no longer perks coffee,
just nukes water for instant coffee.

rharps.com