Bob Pastorio

Default Dulce De Leche recipe and storage

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
> heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
> thread. I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed
> milk in the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea. One of the brands
> has even started printing warnings on the label.

Julia, this is a standard method of making dulce de leche. It's been
around for almost as long as sweetened condensed milk has. People got
the idea that heating it in the can makes caramelized milk by doing it
and getting caramelized milk.

It works and it works well.

Pastorio