Cwdjrx _

Default TN Ch. d'Issan 1961

Chateau d'Issan in Cantenac-Margaux usually has not been among the top
Margauxs in recent years. The 1961 apparently was fairly decent in the
80's when Broadbent rated it 4 out of 5 star. I have not seen any more
recent reviews. I had 2 1/2 bottles of the 1961 which I bough many years
ago for under $US 10 each. The bottle opened had a good cork and a fill
just barely below the neck.

The color is still quite dark with a moderate amount of age showing
around the rim. It has typical cassis fruit. However it does have some
off-character, especially in the bouquet, that is rather unclean, but
complex. It is neary as if you had mixed a hint of corked, with a hint
of barnyard. The taste is much better than the bouquet. If I had bought
this at a restaurant at a high price, I might send it back. However it
is really not that bad for drinking if you do not sniff it too deeply.
It might be a good wine for when you have a cold and can not smell well.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.