rmg

"chromallly" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Could any of you share some good authentic italian recipe for spaghetti
> sauce that uses real tomatoes? I've looked through google and the the
> result is somewhat limited.
>
> When a recipe calls for a can of tomatoes, how can I replace that with
> real tomatoes? Do I just throw all the tomatoes in the blender and
> measure it to 8 oz? Do I use peeled or unpeeled tomatoes?

Personally I don't see much difference between real and canned tomatoes in a
well-made pasta sauce. I don't have much access to fresh grown tomatoes
though. Here's a recipe I really love:

Roasted Tomato Sauce (Gourmet, 9/2000)

2 lb plum tomatoes, trimmed and halved lengthwise
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter

Roast tomatoes:
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Put tomatoes, cut sides up, in 1 layer in a 13- by 9-inch baking dish. Dot
with 2 tablespoons butter and season well with salt and pepper. Roast in
middle of oven until skins are wrinkled and beginning to brown, about 45
minutes. Cool in baking dish.

Make sauce:
When tomatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and seed them over roasting
pan. Slice tomato flesh lengthwise 1/4 inch thick and put in a medium
saucepan. Scrape skins, seeds, and any juices from roasting pan into a fine
sieve set over saucepan with tomatoes and press on solids in sieve to
extract juices. Discard skins and seeds.

Stir 1/4 cup water into tomatoes and bring to a low simmer over low heat.