Bob Pastorio

Default Dulce De Leche recipe and storage

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>
>>*non food groups snecked*
>>
>>Vox Humana wrote:
>>
>>>"Dimitri" > wrote in message
y.com...

> 3/4

> (the

> and

>>>I understand that part. I just question why Brian claims that the can

> has
>
>>>to be completely submerged.

>>So it doesn't explode because the contents overheat, just like Dimitri
>>explained. A can by its nature is a sealed container--i.e., it will
>>become a pressure cooker.
>>
>>Surrounding it with water that _cannot_, under normal pressure, ever
>>exceed the boiling point at that pressure alleviates that concern.
>>
>>Of course, there are some people who wish to demonstrate evolution in
>>action....

> The procedure that I posted said to bring the water up 3/4 of the way on the
> can. I don't see how leaving the TOP 1/4 of the can exposed to the
> atmosphere which is going to be far cooler than 212F will cause the can to
> overheat. I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I can't think of any
> reason why you would be right. I can see how the contents of the can might
> not cook evenly if isn't fully covered, but that is the opposite of having
> the can explode.

I don't think it's about exploding. I think it's to make sure that the
whole can is cooked. Sweetened condensed milk is thick and would have
very little convection activity inside the can. That would mean that
the top of the can being cooler, it would cook differently than the rest.

In any event, I've done it dozens of times both stovetop and in a
crockpot. Worked fine every time.

Pastorio.