Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 10 Dec 2004 23:43:42 -0800, "chromallly" >
wrote:

>Could any of you share some good authentic italian recipe for spaghetti
>sauce that uses real tomatoes? I've looked through google and the the
>result is somewhat limited.
>
>When a recipe calls for a can of tomatoes, how can I replace that with
>real tomatoes? Do I just throw all the tomatoes in the blender and
>measure it to 8 oz? Do I use peeled or unpeeled tomatoes?

I am not Italian, nor do I play one on TV, but why imitate the canned?
I say start the pasta water heating. It will take long enough to start
the sauce.

Chop an onion and start sauteeing it in the sauce pan with EVOO and a
couple of bay leaves. Mince some garlic (some, not a little) and save
it in a ramekin. If you want some heat split a chili pepper and seed
it. Throw the halves in with the onions.

When the water boils, cut a little x in the end of each tomatoe and
drop them in the water. The skin will start loose. Take them out one
by one on a fork and peel under cold water.

Salt the pasta water, and if it will take long enough for the rest put
in the pasta. Seed the tomatoes and dice them.

Taste the sauce for heat. If it is getting dangerous pull out the
pepper halves. 5 or 6 minutes before the end stir in the garlic.

If you want, you can put in some good canned tommatoes, broken up with
a paddle as well as the diced fresh tomatoes. Your choice. Throw in
fresh or dried herbs (lots if fresh, careful if dried).

When the pasta is almost al dente, take it out of the water, saving a
little of the pasta water just in case. Stir the pasta into the sauce
and serve. If you have fresh basil tear it over.

Offer a cheese grater and a good grating cheese cheese at the table.

If you want meat in it, as a Bolognese, you must start a lot earlier.
This is a quick recipe that can be brought to table in about half to
3/4 hour.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas