Mac

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:20:50 +0000, Randall Nortman wrote:

> I've been wrestling with how to incorporate intact or cracked grains
> (e.g., wheat berries, millet, oat groats, amaranth, quinoa) into my
> doughs. In particular, I'm trying to figure out how to maintain the
> water content of my dough at a particular ratio while also
> incorporating a mix of several types of intact grains.
>
> My first observation was that even when pre-soaked, many grains turn
> into tooth-chipping pebbles in the crust of the bread, because they
> dry out in the first few minutes of baking before they can cook fully.
> Millet seems to be a particular culprit here. Therefore, I now cook
> the grains completely before adding them to the dough, either by
> boiling or in a rice steamer.
>
> I've been cooking a measured weight of grains in plain water, then
> weighing the cooked grains afterward and subtract the dry grain weight
> to determine the amount of water that remains in the grains. I then
> add the dry weight of the grains to the weight of flour to get a total
> dry weight, then multiply this by my chosen hydration (typically 70%
> for my whole-wheat doughs) to determine how much total water I need.
> I subtract out the amount of water retained by the grains to determine
> how much to add to the final dough. So in essence, I'm including the
> grains in the hydration calculation as if they were flour, and
> including the water they absorbed during cooking as if it were water
> added directly to the dough.
>
> I've found that this doesn't work very reliably, because different
> grains seem to absorb very different amounts of water, and so the
> hydration percentage needs to be different for every combination of
> grains I use. I like to use lots of different grains together, and I
> like to be able to tweak the mix without going through several trial
> and error batches to get the recipe right.
>
> Perhaps it is better to cook the grains, then drain (and rinse?) them,
> allowing them to retain whatever amount of water they "want" to, then
> ignore the grains (and their retained water) when doing the hydration
> calculation. I worry with this method that during a long
> fermentation, the grains will still exchange water with the dough,
> altering the wetness of the dough. It seems that oat groats
> especially would shed water into the dough, since they get so soft and
> mushy when they're cooked.
>
> Are there any options I'm leaving out? How do you (collectively and
> individually) deal with intact grains? I'm also curious about what
> percentage of "chunky stuff" others have been able to include in a
> dough without turning the resulting bread into a brick.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Many grains can be rolled. Classic oatmeal is just rolled oats, as you
probably already know. You can buy grain rollers from the same sorts of
places where you can buy grain mills. I don't have any experience with
this, but it seems to me that rolling the grains would cause them to cook
much more quickly.

--Mac