usual suspect

Scented Nectar wrote:
>>Thanks for helping to demonstrate that, contrary to the
>>foolish assertions of John Coleman, "veganism" VERY
>>MUCH IS about a numbers game.

> The numbers, when calculated properly will always
> show eating vegan is better.

See:
http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/news/food/vegan.html

>>It IS a form of religion. A belief system need not
>>have priests and sacred texts to be a religion,
>>although "veganism" has things very much like priests
>>and sacred texts.

> I don't agree. At it's most extreme, it could be called
> a lifestyle or a philosophy.

Wrong. That's what it's been from it's beginning:
In late 1944, The Vegan Society was established, advocating a
totally plant-based diet excluding flesh, fish, fowl, eggs,
honey, and animals' milk, butter, and cheese, and also
encouraging the manufacture and use of alternatives to animal
commodities, including clothing and shoes. The group argued that
the elimination of exploitation of any kind was necessary in
order to bring about a more reasonable and humane society. FROM
ITS INCEPTION, VEGANISM WAS DEFINED AS A "PHILOSOPHY" AND "WAY
OF LIVING." IT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO BE MERELY A DIET AND, STILL
TODAY, DESCRIBES A LIFESTYLE AND BELIEF SYSTEM THAT REVOLVES
AROUND A REVERENCE FOR LIFE.
http://www.vegsource.com/jo/veganliving.htm

>>There is no such word as "veganic".

> There should be.

No.

> It's a great word.

It only demonstrates something I didn't get into in my post about
fundamentalism and veganism: after a while, fundamentalist sects break
down into competing, hair-splitting factions. It's something which
basically is a hair-splitting attempt at becoming even more
self-righteous about how one's food is actually grown than a normal, run
of the mill vegan. That's NOT a good thing. It's a sign of going off the
deep end. And you're showing approval of it. Tsk, tsk.

> Someone here used it a few days ago.

It's an illiterate attempt of joining two words so one can
sanctimoniously differentiate himself, and accordingly his even more
peculiar beliefs and practices, from all the other run of the mill
(heretical, "vegan in name only") vegans.