Mydnight

On 7 Dec 2004 18:19:02 -0800, "Cathy Weeks"
> wrote:

>Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
>> 2. Your passage about non-native English speakers is a bit alarming.

>Have we
>> been that annoying in our misuse of the language of Shakespeare and

>Chaucer
>> so that you felt compelled to hint us of our shortcomings?

>Oh, no... he was suggesting that non-native English speakers know the
>rules of English far better than native speakers, and in general, that
>is true. That doesn't mean that non-native speakers actually speak
>better English (although that is true on occasion, as well), but in
>general they know the rules better. In other words, we know when
>something *is* right, but not *why* it is right.

Depends on nationality, I think. The Europeans have a good handle on
the rules and everything, but I still think that a native speaker can
speak better than a non-native speaker. There are so many nuances
that you just don't get in a classroom setting or in books.

>I have a Bachelor's degree in English writing and Literature, and
>Master's degree in English Education (I'm trained to be an English
>teacher), and do you know how many grammar classes I took at the
>University? One. And 10 years later, my knowledge of English grammar
>is still very native (ie., I *usually* know when something is right,
>but not why). I'm more knowledgeable than most people, but that's
>really not saying much.

Ya, I got an English Lit degree with honors. I wrote a million
papers, and I think I got a pretty good handle on the rules and so
forth. I took many grammar/lingusitics classes. I taught a year in
China doing ESL and EFL.

>Now, I believe I just opened myself up to scrutiny, and I'm sure the
>above passage is full of mistakes. Sigh...
>
>Cathy Weeks

Mydnight

thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.