Cathy Weeks

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> 2. Your passage about non-native English speakers is a bit alarming.

Have we
> been that annoying in our misuse of the language of Shakespeare and

Chaucer
> so that you felt compelled to hint us of our shortcomings?

Oh, no... he was suggesting that non-native English speakers know the
rules of English far better than native speakers, and in general, that
is true. That doesn't mean that non-native speakers actually speak
better English (although that is true on occasion, as well), but in
general they know the rules better. In other words, we know when
something *is* right, but not *why* it is right.

I have a Bachelor's degree in English writing and Literature, and
Master's degree in English Education (I'm trained to be an English
teacher), and do you know how many grammar classes I took at the
University? One. And 10 years later, my knowledge of English grammar
is still very native (ie., I *usually* know when something is right,
but not why). I'm more knowledgeable than most people, but that's
really not saying much.

Now, I believe I just opened myself up to scrutiny, and I'm sure the
above passage is full of mistakes. Sigh...

Cathy Weeks