Jenn Ridley

Default How Do You Sift Brown Sugar?

(Fool) wrote:

>I have never had much luck with sifting brown sugar. It's too wet.
>Maybe that's because it's really just white sugar with molasses. The
>best I can do is to push it through a seive with the back of a wooden
>spoon. But it takes a long time and I can only do small amounts. Does
>anyone have a better method?

Why would you want to sift brown sugar?

Yes, it is white sugar with molasses added. "True" brown sugar is
cane sugar that doesn't have all the cane syrup removed. Molasses is
cane syrup.

You get the lumps out of it by breaking them up with a spoon (if
they're soft lumps). If they're hard lumps, the general advice for
dealing with those is to add a wedge of apple or a slice of bread to
the bag for a day or so...the extra moisture will soften up the lump
so that you can break it with a spoon. If you're in a hurry, I've had
reasonable success with spraying the sugar lightly with water and
putting it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds until the lump softens.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley