Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:46:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> All this souffle talk has me contemplating making one. For
>> straight-sided dishes I have a 1-1/2 quart Corning casserole with a
>> 2-1/2" inside height and 7" diameter, and a smaller (one quart
>> probably) stoneware thang that has a 2-1/2" inside height and 6"
>> diameter AND is not straight-sided -- it comes in just a little bit at
>> the top.

> You can make a souffle in any dish, Barb. It's not a
> mystery recipe - even though we've been conditioned to think
> it is.
>
> Think of souffle as "peafowl". The traditional French Style
> is like a beautiful peacock, but if you make one in a low,
> wide dish... it's tastes the same, but it'slooks like a
> doudy little peahen.
>
> IMO: Taste is what counts, so use what you have and enjoy!
>
> sf

I'll bow to your knowledge about this, since I've not made a soufflé.
However, I've read that the reason for using a properly-sized,
straight-sided dish where height and diameter is of correct proportion was
to insure maximum rise and minimal deflation. Then again, perhaps that's
just part of our conditioning.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.