.

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Ida Slapter wrote:

> On 05 Dec 2004 03:42:54 GMT, (Cake Wmn) wrote:
>
> >I would suggest that you trim the dome off both layers with the
> >serrated knife. Put frosting on top the lower layer and then put the
> >trimmed top of the other layer next to the frosting. That way you will
> >have a nice smooth flat top to frost rather than a domed top.

> To eliminate the problem without trimming, I always flip the layer
> over and use the bottom for my top. That way, you aren't
> continuously fighting excess crumb every where.

First, you can reduce (possibly eliminate) the dome by using a thick
baking pan. The thinner the pan the more or a dome you will have. If you
look at the commercial cake pans you will see they are a very thick, heavy
metal.

Whether you trim the cake to make it level or not there is always a chance
for crumbs. For this reason I always like to put a thin, light layer of
frosting on the cake then chill it in the fridge. Once this coating has
been well chilled you can ice the rest of the cake with little or no
chance of crumbs.