Maiden

Default Recipe: Banana Cake/Bars (with barley malt & stevia)

(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com>...

> An unusual recipe there. I'd definitely try it if it wasnt for the
> malt.
>
> If the applesauce is just cooked apple then yes it works from a
> structure POV. I have used apples in place of bananas, and the cakes
> tend to be denser and the flavour not as good, but it works. For best
> flavour though I find banana cake recipes too heavily flavoured for
> apple, better I think to use a very light flavoured cake, with apple
> as almost the only flavour.
>
> One can also use fruit in cake rather than sugar or concentrated
> sweeteners - currants work fairly well with banana cake, they make it
> darker and heavier in taste. Mixed fruit works too. I've never
> understood why people pour such huge amounts of sugar into cakes.
>

> Regards, NT

Thanks for your comments, NT! I'm eating the stuff, and I'm finding it
quite OK & filling. Yet even this leaves a bit of an acidic aftertaste
if ya know what I mean, though if I take it together with mild tea, it
may be a bit better.

Then again, I get these aftertastes from many cakes I eat - could be
that it's caused by whole-grain flours. Maybe I should have eliminated
the whole wheat in the above recipe, who knows.. I know that oats and
whole wheat tested bad for me kineseologically, and I bet that's
because of them triggering acid reaction in my already overly-acidic
body. Molasses tested good for me, and I bet barley malt & rice syrup
would also test good.

BTW, concentrated starches, such as too-dense potatoes, cause me bad
joint pains. Cherries have the opposite effect - they're really great,
even heal internal bleeding when taken on empty stomach.

I know people consider chocolate cake unhealthy, but believe it or
not, some deliciously moist chocolate cake recipes which call for
loads of sugar PLUS lots of eggs PLUS regular white flour, leave me
feeling pretty good, with no acidic aftertaste.

So sometimes I wonder - should I listen to all the "health food hype"?
Or, should I listen to what my body is telling me?