Tea

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. I had forgotten that you lived in NYC
also. Are there any restaurants here that would serve this? I'm near the
East Village- I was thinking of maybe Village Yokocho.

"Musashi" > wrote in message
Well, it hasn't snowed yet in NY.
But, the Rockefeller Center Xmas tree did get
lit up last night, and the local Japanese grocery stores
in the NY area have started carrying Ankimo.
For those not familar, Ankimo is the liver of the monkfish, the name coming
from ANKOU=monkfish
and Liver=Kimo. Served cold with momijioroshi
(red pepper grated daikon) and Ponzu, it's a wonderful seasonal little
treat. Monkfish and its liver are a winter seasonal food in Japan, the ANKOU
NABE (Monkfish hot pot) being the most well known.

My ANKIMO Recipe:
1. Salt Ankimo and let sit 30 min.
2. Wash off salt and peel off thin skin, removing and
veins. Wash thoroughly in cold water to drain blood.
3. Wrap tightly in cheesecloth. It can look round or like
a sausage. Soak with a bit of Sake and Mirin and let
sit 15 min.
4. Place wrapped Ankimo into steamer together with
sliced shouga (ginger) and scallions.
5. Steam for 30-40 minutes.
6. Let cool overnight, then remove cheesecloth.
7. Slice and serve with garnish. (momijioroshi, chopped
scallions, Ponzu).

There are numerous numerous recipes with minor variations but the end result
does not vary widely.

Musashi