Gerry

In article >, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> >>I was looking forward to the return of Ankimo all summer.
> >>They finally started serving it a month ago at my usual places.

> > Curious. I can get it year 'round.

> It's typically a Fall/Winter items, so you don't see it in the
> Spring and Summer. Some chefs will freeze and keep it for the
> Spring and Summer, but results vary. I had some frozen ankimo
> that had lost a lot of flavor and its firm texture from freezing.

Well it's not always fabulous, but I really like Ankimo. When it's not
so good it's usually TOO firm. Damn near heard, with little to offer
texturally and less flavor. Other times (perhaps now) it is softer,
better texture and lots of flavor.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.