"Musashi" > writes:

> in the NY area have started carrying Ankimo.

I had some wonderful Ankimo over the weekend up here
in the Boston area.

Someone asked me an interesting question about it, though.

Is it kosher? (ie. does the monkfish have fins and scales?)

Catfish, for example, and other bottom-feeders (ie. shellfish)
are not. But the monkfish is a whole different, er, kettle
of fish.

Hrm. This says "no":
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/judaism/FAQ...ection-30.html

This one also pretty much says "no":
http://www.chowhound.com/boards/kosh...ages/3276.html

I guess that's my answer. I mainly couldn't remember what
kind of scales, if any, it had. The only time I remember
seeing whole monkfish was on an episode of Iron Chef. And
it is certainly one *ugly* fish!

[thanks for posting that recipe, by the way!]

No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html