N. Thornton

Default What is the best brand of cake pans ?

(Angela) wrote in message . com>...

(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com>...

> > I think it all depends on whether youre going for non stick or using
> > paper: if using paper, stove enamelled is hard to beat. But almost
> > anything will work with paper lining.
> >
> > Thick ali will help spread the heat if your oven isnt heating evenly.
> > I've not noticed that problem myself, but I dont do a great amount of
> > baking. I've found non stick is a pretty poor substitute for paper.
> >

> I did not know that about aluminum spreading the heat if the oven
> isn't heating evenly. That would be a selling point for aluminum for
> me. I don't know if my oven doesn't heat evenly, but better safe than
> sorry ! Plus, even if this oven does heat evenly, when we move the
> next one may not. I assume this would keep me from having to turn the
> cake pan in the middle of the baking time ?

Well, if you need to do that now, then maybe, it would help to some
extent anyway. Copper and aluminium are the 2 best heat conductors.

> I don't usually use paper when baking and haven't had a problem with
> my cakes releasing. I just use crisco & flour now or a homemade "cake
> release" - no paper. I am not opposed to paper, though, if necessary.
> I don't *think* I need/want nonstick pans. I have heard that they
> brown the outside of the cake more than regular pans. But I am
> certainly open to everyone's opinions on this subject !

Well FWIW I have a mixture of baking goods, from the very superior to
the cheapskate, and as far as cooking performance goes, I find that,
when using paper, theres no difference. One is built like a tank,
another will bend and twist under the weight of the food in it, but
once in the oven theres no difference.

When not using paper its another matter, but Ive learnt to use paper
for good results. THe cheapo stuff is bad news wihout paper, it sticks
like glue.

When you think about the science of what the trays actually do, I
wouldnt expect to see much difference between them, so long as you get
your antisticking measures right. I've seen exorbitantly priced
all-clad etc sold for oven use, but I think its just intended to take
money off people who dont understand why all-clad really offers no
advantage inside an oven.

All a baking tray need do is contain the food, conduct the heat
through, not stick, be dishwashable, and survive daily life. Few fail
to meet those, with the exception of sticking.

Regards, NT