Kajikit

Default How long can uncooked chicken sit outside fridge before going bad?

Robin saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:08:15 -0800:

>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for
>about 4-5 hours. It sat in the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.
>Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later, assuming its still good,
>need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
>it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

Can we say ewwwww? If the chicken was frozen to start with then it'd
still be nice and cold and fine to use. But if it was fresh then it
got seriously overheated. Cars are like very big ovens and they get
much hotter than the surrounding air, so there's no telling how warm
the chicken got in that length of time. I wouldn't risk it... but I
err on the side of caution with meat because I'm rather paranoid about
germs.

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...