Carsonia Parker

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:34:39 -0500, confused wrote:

>A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant near my
>office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food, and
>those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because I've
>never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
>because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a bartender
>if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
>carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?

At a large popular chain in which I once worked, whoever rang up the
takeout had to put it in with their own charges and thus pay taxes on
an assumed tip. We also had to assemble the food, pack up all the
sides, etc.. It was a real pain. Because there was rarely a tip
involved and we had tipping customers to wait on, no one wanted to
ever do the takeout. Often, the takeout was poorly or incorrectly
assembled as a result. Sometimes the bartender had to leave the bar
to assemble the takeout, which resulted in slowed bar service for all.

Don't assume there is no service involved. However, this is not the
customer's fault. Good management can come up with a system that
works for everyone's good. I do tip for takeout depending on the
place, usually about 10%. I like to establish a good relationship
with restaurants I like which results in good service when I return.

Cheers, Carsonia Parker