Phil C.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:25:58 +0000, (sarah)
wrote:

>Syke > wrote:
>
>> At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like gas,
>> mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want bottled.
>> Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of the
>> other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

>Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
>the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
>cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
>another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
>opportunity arrived.
>I don't regret it at all.

ISTM that although gas is ideally preferable to even the best halogen
hob in terms of controllability and instant heat, either is _luxury_
compared to an Aga. I had one in the 1970s (oil-fired) and couldn't
wait to get rid of the great useless white elephant. <Ducks and runs,
albeit very slowly>
--
Phil C.